Year of issue: 2021
Manufacturer: Mix With The Masters
Manufacturer’s website: Link
Author: Tom Lord-Alge
Duration: 2h 28min
Handout Type: Video Tutorial
Description: Visit Spank Studio in Miami, the lair of the famous rock mixer Tom Lord-Algie! This video series focuses on the TLA editing and mixing techniques used in Weezer’s “Back to the Shack”. Tom shows off his hybrid setup and workflow, explaining why he decided to implement a combination of Pro Tools, a Sony 3348 HR tape machine and its SSL G + console. After reviewing his setup, TLA walks you through a mixing session and shows you some of his very clever and useful techniques: in particular, how he triggers drum samples with high fidelity and fixes cymbal leaks from tom tracks. See how he efficiently manages his sessions, aligns drums in time, adds effects to vocals, compresses the master bus and much more!
1. SSL console, ITB vs. hybrid, hardware, Sony 3348, buss compressors, track order, labeling
2. Drum alignment, vocal effects, stem workflow, static mix, monitoring, creating trigger tracks
3. Bass drum trigger track, ducking, sample nudging, EQ, compression, fader & plug-in levels
4. Snare gate, EQ, compression, reverb, metering, mix compressor settings, gain structure
5.Drum room tracks, side-chaining, delay compensation, phase, multi-band compression
6.Cymbal leakage, overheads, hi-hats, overdubs, loop, saturation, bass guitar, noise reduction
7. Rhythm guitar blend, buss chain, expansion, EQ, distortion
8. Lead guitar treatment, effects, stereo spread, filtering, compression, vocal processing
9. Bridge vocal effects, scene change, harmonies, group chants, mix with automation
There are subtitles in English and Spanish.
Note: video 2 has a resolution of 1862×1080, video 4 – 1872×1080, video 5 – 1864×1080, video 9 – 1868×1080.
Sample files: not provided
Video format: MP4
Video: AVC, 1920×1080, 16: 9, 30 fps, 1500 kb / s
Audio: AAC, 48 kHz, 128 kb / s, 2 channels